Maximum Statewide Wrecker Rates
NOTE: The wrecker rates shown in the following table
apply only to "third party tows" by those wrecker operators who have not
requested and received a Commission approved tariff. This Commission
approved tariff applies only to "third-party tow." "Third-party tow"
means the tow of a motor vehicle by a wrecker vehicle if that tow is performed
without the prior consent or prior authorization of the owner or operator of
the towed motor vehicle. The rates for "third-party tows" that have been
approved by this Commission may be obtained by calling, toll free,
1-800-344-5113, extension 425.
COMMISSION APPROVED MAXIMUM STATEWIDE WRECKER RATES
CASE NO. 06-1915-MC-GI
Any wrecker operator with an existing Commission approved tariff may file under the current
Commission TOW process to request the Commission approved statewide maximum rates set forth
for minimum and hourly tow rates, storage charges, and accompanying Rules and Regulations in
place of the carrier's current rates, storage charges and regulations. Any other rate, charge,
or specific tariff regulation in the carrier's current Commission approved tariff not included
in the statewide maximum tariff, (for example, "special service charges"), would remain unchanged.
Any wrecker operator without an existing Commission approved tariff shall be subject to the rates,
storage charges, and Rules and Regulations of the Commission approved statewide maximum tariff.
Such wrecker operator may apply under the Commission TOW process to obtain a Commission approved
tariff including the statewide maximum tow rates, storage charges, Rules and Regulations, and request
"other charges" applicable to the area in which the carrier operates. The wrecker operator must
specify the "other charges" being requested. Staff will recommend Commission approval of the
carrier's requested "other charge" or the maximum charge for the area in which the carrier operates, whichever
1. Hourly Rates /Rate per Hour /Minimum
||Rate per Hour
|Automobiles (Passenger Cars) and Trucks with Gross Vehicle
Weight of 7,500 lbs. or less
|Trucks with Gross Vehicle Weight of 7,501 to 10,000 lbs.
|Trucks and buses with Gross Vehicle Weight of 10,001 to 35,000 lbs.
|Tractor and trailer combinations (empty) requiring heavy duty
|Trucks (Grossing 35,001 - 50,000 lbs.)
|Trucks (Grossing 50,001 - 60,000 lbs.)
|Trucks (Grossing 60,001 - 75,000 lbs.)
|Trucks (Grossing over 75,000 lbs.)
2. Mileage Rules
Instead of the hourly rates shown above, the carrier
may charge a mileage rate of $4.00 per mile, calculated from the carrier's
base of operation to the final towing destination. In no case shall both
an hourly charge and a mileage charge be applied.
3. Additional Labor
The rates shown herein include the services of one
man (the driver). If additional labor is required, such additional labor
shall be provided by the carrier at the rate of $30.00 per hour per
helper. The minimum charge for such labor shall be $30.00 per helper.
4. Additional Charge for Sundays, Evenings and
Due to overtime wages paid on weekends, evenings (5:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m.) and all federal holidays, an additional charge of $15.00 per hour shall be added to all charges provided in paragraphs (1) and (3) above when said services are performed on weekends, evenings and federal holidays if such overtime wages are paid.
Whenever vehicles are towed by a carrier to the
carrier's place of business, storage shall be provided as follows:
|Automobiles (Passenger Cars) and Trucks with
Gross Vehicle Weight of 7,500 lbs. or less
|Trucks with Gross Vehicle Weight of 7,501 to 10,000 lbs.
|Trucks with Gross Vehicle Weight of 10,001 lbs. or more
|Semi-trailers and Buses
RULES AND REGULATIONS
(1) The rates provided herein shall
apply to the transportation by wrecker (tow) truck of wrecked and/or
disabled motor vehicles over the public highways.
(2) All hourly rate provided herein shall be calculated from the time the carrier leaves his base of operation to the final towing destination and return, and except as otherwise provided, shall be rounded to the nearest quarter hour. Except in the case where a wrecker operator is patrolling a privately owned parking lot by contact, the starting time of the applicable tow shall be calculated from the time the actual tow operation begins.
(3) Except as otherwise provided
herein, all mileage rates shall be the highway miles, according to the
official State Highway Map issued by the West Virginia Department of
Highways, via the shortest regularly-traveled available highway routes,
unless a longer route is specifically requested by the customer.
(4) No charge shall be made, either
by hour or by mileage, for any delays attributable to the carrier.
(5) The storage fee provide herein shall accrue at the beginning of each day (excluding the day the vehicle is delivered to the storage facility). In calculating the total applicable storage charge, a day shall be each 24 hour period commencing at the start of the next business day and shall apply only if the vehicle has not been retrieved before the carrier's normal close of business on the day the vehicle is delivered to the carrier's storage facility. Provided, however, that for vehicles arriving at the storage facility after 1:00 p.m. the storage fee may not be applied if the vehicle is retrieved on or before 1:00 p.m. on the next business day.
(6) Carriers shall maintain adequate
records to allow expeditious periodic review of their compliance with this
tariff. Such records must include, but are not limited to, sequentially
numbered invoices, a copy of which must be provided each customer and a
copy of which must be retained for a period of at least two (2) years by
(7) If a vehicle has been hooked with hoisting apparatus or loaded by the wrecker service and the vehicle has not left the premises and the owner or operator produces the ignition key and removes the vehicle immediately, the applicable tow charge shall not exceed on-half (1/2) the otherwise minimum charge as set forth in the applicable tariff.