Consumer assistance title banner

Consumer Complaint Procedures
If You Have a Problem with Utility Service or Rates

Utility Action:

If you believe you are not receiving safe, adequate utility service at correct rates, take the matter up directly with the company that provides the services.

You should tell the company what your problem is and provide all necessary facts. Your complaint will be handled more quickly if you give the utility company a complete explanation of your complaint. The utility company should investigate your complaint and tell you what action it will take.

If you do not hear from the company within a reasonable time, or if you are not satisfied with the company's action, you may write or call the Public Service Commission in Charleston. The Commission has Consumer Affairs technicians that are trained to help you with utility problems.

Which Utilities are Regulated by the Commission?

The PSC has the responsibility for regulation of the rates and services of electric, telephone, natural gas, water, wastewater and solid waste disposal utilities. In addition, some motor carrier operations remain under the jurisdiction of the Commission.

The Commission does not have authority to initially set the rates established by municipal utilities or cooperatives. It does have limited jurisdiction, upon a timely petition following a rate action, to review the rates of municipal utilities and cooperatives. However, a petition asking for Commission review of municipal and coop rates must be filed within 30 days of the rate action by the utility's governing body and it must either be signed by 25% of the utility's customers or present evidence of discrimination customers seeking Commission review.

In addition to rate and service territory jurisdiction, the Commission also establishes service standards which regulated utilities must meet.

The PSC's Consumer Affairs Technicians Can Help You.

Consumer Technicians receive about 4,000 calls a year. Here are some examples of types of problems that PSC Consumer Technicians may be able to help you with:

  • improper termination of your utility service

  • charges on your utility bill that you believe are incorrect or unauthorized

  • problems with reading your meter

  • customer deposits for utility services

  • poor quality of service

  • high bill complaints

  • problems with delaying connection of service

  • problems with back billing

Filing Your Request for Assistance with the Commission.

You may submit your request for assistance by telephone or letter. You do not need an attorney to file your complaint.

You can save time for yourself and the PSC staff by providing complete information about your problem. Before your problem can be investigated, the staff needs the following information:

  • Your name, street address/or box number, city, county, and zip code

  • The name of the utility and names of company personnel you have talked with

  • The complete facts of your complaint

  • The action the utility took on your complaint

  • A brief explanation of the solution desired

Action on Your Complaint:

Our Consumer Affairs Technicians will review your request for assistance and discuss the problem with you. Though the PSC cannot resolve every problem to the customer's satisfaction, it does act promptly on your requests for assistance and makes every effort to see that they are handled fairly.

Most of the requests for assistance the PSC receives are resolved in an informal manner through discussions involving the customer, the company, and the PSC staff. However, if these efforts are not satisfactory, the staff can provide you with information on how to obtain further review of your PSC complaint.

The toll-free number is 1-800-642-8544.
A customer service representative will be glad to help you.

Or, write to:

Public Service Commission of WV
c/o Customer Assistance
201 Brooks Street
PO Box 812
Charleston, WV 25323

Top of Page  I  Home